CAI-Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CAI-Forum

The CAI-Forum – it’s the center of innovation, the stronghold of communication, and the ultimate database for progress.

3 posters

Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT)

SPECPOL_UK

Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT) Empty Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT)

Post by SPECPOL_UK Sat May 17, 2014 5:15 pm

DRAFT RESOLUTION 2.1
    FORUM: The Peaceful Protection of Outer Space
    SPONSORS: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom
    SIGNATORIES: Belgium, Brazil, Côte D’Ivoire, France, Germany, India,Indonesia, Moldova, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Japan, Guatemala, Sweden, South Korea, United Arab Emirates

SPECIAL, POLITICAL AND DECOLONIZATION COMMITTEE (SPECPOL),
    Recognizing the outstanding progress made from the exploration of outer space over the last 50 years with peaceful purposes,
    Appreciating the positive response and interest of all humankind in encouraging the exploration and use of outer space,
    Noting with satisfaction the unique platform at the global level for international cooperation in space activities represented by the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space,
    Emphasizing the importance of international cooperation in this field, and in developing of the rule of law, including the relevant norms of space law and their important role in international cooperation for the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes, and of the widest possible adherence to international treaties that promote the peaceful uses of outer space in order to meet emerging new challenges, especially for developing countries
    Having examined the Outer Space Treaty, United Nations recognizes the need to find new resolutions and laws to preserve and promote peaceful use of space, furthermore sees the former treaties being obsolete,
    Seriously concerned about the possibility of an arms race in outer space, and bearing in mind the importance of article IV of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies;

The United Nations committee Special, Political, and Decolonization Committee,
    1. Recommends the creation of a new body under the unit General Assembly, which solely exists to monitor the production and launching of ASATs. Furthermore, they will enforce the International Space Laws.
    i. Decides that China, Russia, United States, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Japan and Canada will become permanent members of the committee,
    ii. Furthermore requests the veto power to be withdrawn from all members of the committee.
    iii. Encourages any other nation, not mentioned in sub-clause i, to become members;

2. Encourages financial aid in order to create and uphold this committee and the issues it addresses.

3. Appoints limitations concerning the use and research regarding Anti-Satellite Weapons (ASAT).
    i. Proclaims that the limitations include the launching of ASATs only by the 8 permanent members of the committee, with a limitation of 2 launches a year if no other alternatives can be found,

4. Further recommends transparency regarding the intentions for ASAT launches from all permanent members.

5. Calls upon nations to renew and reword pre-existing International Space Law;
    i. Expects nations to incorporate renewed International Space Laws into existing constitutions and government;

6. Recalls resolution 1884 (XVIII), calling upon States to refrain from placing in orbit around the earth any objects carrying nuclear weapons or any other kinds of weapons of mass destruction or from installing such weapons on celestial bodies, which was adopted unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly on 17 October 1963;
    i. Emphasizes that Weapons of Mass Destruction excludes ASAT’s;

7. Reaffirms the Rescue Agreement, which essentially provides that any state that is a party to the agreement must provide all possible assistance to rescue the personnel of a spacecraft ,whether because of an accident, distress, emergency, or unintended landing;
    i. Demands nations with power, which are members of the committee, to contribute with aid, through economical and financial means and resources;
    ii. Expresses its hope that nations who have sent up resources of any kind, which prove to need aid from other nations, will claim responsibility for any accidents their modules might have caused;

8. Urges all States, in particular those with major space capabilities, to contribute actively to the goal of preventing an arms race in outer space as an essential condition for the promotion of international cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes;

9. Encourages nations that for any samples obtained during research activities, the state that obtained them considers making part of it available to all nations for research purposes;

10. Expresses its hope that nations will continue to consider, as a matter of priority, ways and means of maintaining outer space for peaceful purposes;

11. Encourages financial aid and other resources from the permanent members for developing nations
    i. Requests that funding will be used for education and research regarding space in developing nations;

13. Calls upon the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to prepare military actions, in the case that there are significant, hostile attacks against humanity, such as:
    i. Encourages the initiation of a weaponization program solely for the purpose of defending against foreign species,
    a) The preparation of launch sites for orbital intervention in case of necessity,
    I. With the equipping of lethal weaponry or personnel;

ii. Further emphasizes willingness to compromise the International Space Station and its inhabitants in the case of severe escalation.

SPECPOL_NK
    SPECPOL_NK

Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT) Empty Re: Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT)

Post by SPECPOL_NK Sat May 17, 2014 5:21 pm

THE SUPREME LEADER KIM JONG UN DESPISES THIS WORKING PAPER. IT DOES NOT ALLOW NORTH KOREA TO RULE THE WORLD WHICH IS THE FUNDAMENTAL BELIEF IN THE KOREAN CULTURE. NORTH KOREA IS BEST KOREA. ALL HAIL THE ETERNAL LEADER

Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT) Pillsbury-dough-boy-kim-jong-un
    SPECPOL_Latvia

Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT) Empty Re: Working Paper 2.1 (UK + SAUDI ARABIA + EGYPT)

Post by SPECPOL_Latvia Sat May 17, 2014 5:59 pm

This delegate questions Clause 1 sub-clause I which, "decides that China, Russia, United States, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Japan and Canada will become permanent members of the committee." Considering how 5/8 countries mentioned in this sub-clause did not agree to the draft, how could you assume that they would abide to this clause? Furthermore, if nations such as China, Russia and U.S.A are not even sponsoring or acting as signatories to this working paper, how could one assume that they would agree to withdrawing veto power?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am